½ Day Confined Spaces Awareness
Confined Space Awareness Course Overview
This course provides awareness of the legal responsibilities placed on Employers in relation to Confined Space Awareness and/or carrying out risk assessments prior to permitting entry into Confined Spaces.
Who should attend
Managers, Supervisors, Engineers and all those with responsibility for controlling work in Confined Spaces and/or carrying out risk assessments prior to permitting entry into Confined Spaces. (Delegates should already be capable of carrying out general risk assessments. This course is not suitable for those who have a need to enter/work in a confined space).
This classroom based course will provide awareness of the legal responsibilities placed on Employers in relation to Confined Spaces and on those that they designate as controlling that responsibility on their behalf. On completion of the course delegates will be aware of the requirements of the Confined Spaces Regulations 1997, the need for Risk Assessments, be capable of carrying out a risk assessment and subsequently developing Safe Systems of Work for entry into a Confined Space.
- Who is affected? What is the risk?
- Condition of the Confined Space
- Previous Contents, Residues, Contamination
- Oxygen Deficiency, Physical Dimensions, Cleaning Chemicals
- Sources of Ignition, Ingress of Substances
- Safe Systems of Work Including Permits to Work
- Arrangements for Emergencies
- Equipment required to enter a Confined Space
- The Purpose/Examination/Testing of Gas Detection Equipment
- The Purpose/Examination/Testing of Escape Breathing Apparatus
- The Purpose/Examination/Testing of Ropes and Safety Harnesses
- The Purpose/Examination/Testing of Tripods and Man Riding Winches
- Personal Protective Equipment and Hygiene
- Maintenance of Equipment
- Ventilation and the avoidance of unsafe atmospheres
- Manpower including Training Requirements
- Communication and entry Procedures